Monday 9 February 2015

Luang Prabang


Travels in Lao








                          










 A large part of Luang Prabang,s Charm is derived from its Wonderfully dilapidated French Colonial buildings. Like a Blowsy Old Dowager whose Knicker Elastic has given way Luang Prabang wears its Drawers around its ankles with unselfconscious Panache!! This is my second visit here and it was not until after a few Days that I actually became aware of how quiet and sedate a Town it is. Unlike the Thai Town I live in there is little traffic here and people drive Slowly, in fact in no way wishing  to be critical the Lao appear to do everything slowly!!



This has been my second Visit in less than a Year. I am lucky in that the Thai Town where I live is only 60 Kilometres from Vientiane the Lao Capital. In fact I visit Lao quite often on my Motorcycle but until recently I have headed South. This trip was the first time I have taken my Car it will also be the last time!! The Potholes on Roads which are seldom repaired are HUGE and one is frequently forced to drive on the wrong side to avoid them!!

I spent 10 Days in Luang Prabang this Visit and I think most People would find this far to prolonged a stay. In fact apart from a Casual inspection I did not visit any of the beautiful Buddhist Temples. This was a Chill Out Holiday and there can be few Towns in which doing not very much of anything is more agreeable!!



Driving back from Luang Prabang
I would not want to Drive this Road at Night!!


My Room at Sokdee Guest House
Comfortable Room and Bed and Looking out on Palm Trees






I drove here on Roads That Looked rather like this


One of the delights of Luang Prabang is its Compactness. The Old town is surrounded by Rivers ( The Mekong and the Nam Khan) on Three  Sides. Strolling around this Tranquil Town and simply
 soaking up the Atmosphere is a pleasure indeed. When One gets tired a Coffee Stop at the
excellent Café Banaton is called for! Here One can enjoy an Americano and a Tarte Au Citroën for a fraction of the price I recently paid on the Boulevard St. Germain in Paris. I believe the French were poor Colonial Masters when they were here but they did leave us these Beautiful Buildings and they bequeathed to the Lao the ability to Bake Baguettes and delicious Pastries!!


Café Banaton




Accommodation and food is quite a lot dearer here than in Thailand where I live, while of course being considerably less expensive than European Towns. Lao has no manufacturing and almost everything sold here is imported from Thailand, which immediately doubles the price!!.
Because of its French Connections there are a few passable Restaurants here although Wine is Hugely expensive, the only Country in this region with reasonably priced Wine being Cambodia. Pictured on the Right is the best French Restaurant in Town "L,Elephant "I had an enjoyable Dinner here, with a Bottle of Wine my Bill came to Half a Million Kip!! Not as bad as it sounds around $60.00
                                                                        
I am staying at the Sokdee Guest House where I stayed last year the Room for $20 per Night is Really quite nice ( Everything is Wood Floor, Walls and Ceiling) they have also got some cheaper Rooms I believe and Next Door is the Sokdee Residence where a room costs $50 per Night I have not seen these $50 Rooms but I am pretty sure that they would NOT be worth the extra $30. The People are Friendly Noy the Younger Brother who goes out Touting for Customers and desperately wants to drive my car suggested that we could go and enjoy the Company of some Vietnamese Ladies together!

 I think the Cheapest Rooms in this part of Town (Apart from Hostels) are $10.00. The Namsok ( Pictured Right) is, I am told OK and the Rooms have En Suite Facilities. The Namsok is only 150 Yards from Sokdee and right in the heart of the Old Town and around 50 Yards from the River.




I love France and the Millions who share my Passion will be enchanted by the Romance of Luang Prabang !! The combination of the Lovely Old French Colonial Buildings festooned with Bougainvillea and set amidst a huge variety of Exotic Palms is quite Unique!!

I noticed on this trip a lot of Chinese Registered Cars (The Chinese Border is probably nearer than the Thai Border from here!!) The Chinese appear to be buying up large Chunks of Lao and I get the impression that the Lao are rather wary of their large Expansionist Neighbour. Nobody in S.E. Asia is Over Fond of Westerners (Europeans or Americans) but while many dislike us they are in no way afraid of us. My advice is go to see Lao before it becomes a Chinese Province!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment